A once thriving turn-of-the-century mill village in the town of Wallingford, this now abandoned ghost town lies near the present Long Trail crossing of Homer Stone Brook. Careful hikers might notice stone walls, and the odd brick. This site was the subject of archeological dig in 2007. Local businessman and logger Barney Aldrich established Aldrichville and operated it as a mill village in the late nineteenth century. For more than twenty years (roughly 1880s-1910s), the mill operated successfully, before being abandoned in favor of a new location in the valley, nearer town and railroad. At its peak, the village consisted of a steam-powered mill (switched over from water power, probably in the 1890s), a store, school, blacksmith shop, boarding house, and roughly a dozen households.
This shelter was built in 1922 on Bondville Road, present day route 30, near the intersection with route 11, east of Manchester. It was maintained by the Green Mountain Club and featured bunks for twenty to twenty-four persons. The most notable feature of this shelter was its commanding view of Mount Aeolus near Manchester.