This shelter is 0.2 mi. down the New Boston Trail. It is a framed lean-to with bunks for 8 and was built with the help of 60 campers from the Vermont Camping Association under the direction of GMC’s George Pearlstein. It was named in memory of David Logan, an active club member whose family and friends provided funds and assistance. A reliable source of water is located 200 ft. north of the shelter. The Carmel Camp previously occupied this location. It has been in use from about 1976 to present.
This log lean-to has space for 8. It was named for Judge Clarence Cowles of Burlington, a charter member of the GMC. He helped build many trails especially in the Monroe Skyline Section. It was built in 1956 by the New York Section under the direction of Prof. Roy O. Buchanan. The brook 100 ft. south is a dependable water source. Nearby stands the remains of the old Cowles
ear the present shelter are the remains of the old Shelter built in 1920, with bunks for 4, by Professor Monroe. Called Cowles’ Cove Lodge in the 5th Edition of GB. On the farther bank is Cowles Cove Lodge, a shelter of Swiss type with a lower bunk that is capable of sleeping three or possibly four, and an upper bunk large enough for two. It has a good stove and a few utensils. In front of it is a small porch.
This framed cabin was built in 1989 by the Laraway Section and named for Robert Corliss of St. Albans. It has sleeping space for 14. Water is found at a small brook about 350 ft. from the camp at the end of a spur trail to the left off the Davis Neighborhood trail. It has been in use from 1989 to present. [GB 24th Edition 1996] On December 30, 1989, a cold clear morning, approximately 20 gathered to hike to their newly constructed camp for the dedication ceremony. This Camp has replaced Parker Camp. Don Hill and Peter Hayden presented Bob Corliss with the new camp sign for whom the camp was named. Bob proudly hung the sign over the door. This shelter was made possible by the contributions and volunteer labor of many people. Thanks go to Woodbury’s, Rice Lumber Co., Flanders Building Supply, Peter Salinger. and students from the Lamoille Vocational School; and Arjay West and Scout Troop 94 for their efforts.
This lodge is located 100 ft. downhill on the LT from the Killington spur junction near sites of the old hotel and the round tin shelter. To the west of the lodge is the Bucklin Trail. It is a stone and wood construction with bunks for 12. It is located on land given to the state by Mortimer R. Proctor, former president of the GMC and later governor of Vermont and named in honor of Charles P. Cooper, president of the Club when a considerable portion of the LT was complete. It is the highest shelter on the LT. There are springs 100 ft. west on the Bucklin Trail and 325 ft. north on the LT. A GMC roving caretaker may be present to help hikers protect the high-elevation ecosystem around Killington Peak as well as manage other overnight sites in the Coolidge Range. An over-night fee may be charged. It has been in use from 1939 to present.
A framed lean-to with room for 8, the shelter was built by the USFS in 1965. A spring is located 600 ft. west on the Cooley Glen Trail. It has been in use from 1965 to present.
Built in 1949, this shelter is an open front, built of peeled logs, with bunks for 6 or 8. Water 150 yards to the west. Look out for porcupines. No, they can’t throw their quills.
Professor Monroe and a group of workers built a shelter at Cooley Glen in 1918. [Forest & Crag by Laura & Guy Waterman. 1989] Open shelter of peeled logs, pole bunks. simple utensils, outdoor fireplace, splendid water 150 yds. westerly. [GB 2nd Edition 1920] The old shelter is now ruined and provides very little protection. A new shelter will be built on or near this location as soon as labor and materials can be obtained.
It has space for 8 and was built by the Dartmouth College Outing Club in 1995. Ample water is available in a nearby stream. It has been in use from 1995 to present.
This open-front frame cabin, with bunks for 8, was built by the LT Patrol in 1967. It was named for Herbert Wheaton Congdon, a Long Trail pioneer, trail builder and mapmaker, and was the gift of the Congdon family. A small brook east of the shelter furnishes water, and overflow campsites are located on the ridge west of the LT above the outhouse. It was originally built as a cabin and converted to an open shelter after 1985. In 1985 there was a Primitive Camping Area 0.8 mile north of the shelter which had been abandoned by 1996.
In recent years the maintenance of Clarendon Lodge has become increasingly difficult due primarily to misuse. After much deliberation the Killington Section decided to re- model from the closed lodge to an open shelter. On May 15 some 40 people were present to do the carpentering, pick up an entire pick-up load of trash (all accumulated since last September, clear up the remains of one of the twin pines right in front of the shelter which some “kids” had cut down with a hand-axe (it was about 50 years old), fell the other twin since “kids” had started hacking into it in such a way that it would fall directly ON the shelter, and build a new privy using lumber taken from the front of the lodge. The fence around the shelter is to keep out the cows in summer; there will be a gate at the opening.
This framed building with bunks for 12 was constructed in 1952 by the Killington Section. A brook 50 ft. east furnishes water. In use from 1952 to present. [GB 24th Edition 1996] The new closed shelter completed during this past summer has been formally rededicated as Clarendon Lodge. Come no more querulously seeking Clarendon Lean-to. Not only does it not now lean to leeward of every passing wind …it is solid, substantial, and winter-proof. It took 374 hours of labor. Hikers were using it prior to completion as were the cows.