Wyanokie Lodge was built by Professor Will S. Monroe, president of the New York Section of the Green Mountain Club, in Northern New Jersey near West Milford. The Lodge served as a clubhouse for the New York Section and was a center for nature study, botany, outdoor instruction, and an annual bird census in cooperation with the United States Biological Survey. Monroe established a fern garden here, as the region was particularly rich for ferns.
This shelter was built on the same location but positioned to reduce wind and maximize sun exposure. It was named the Red Roof Inn. Late in the afternoon we had the framing completed and part of the roof on. That night it was occupied by AT thru-hiker Allan Garvin (Call of the Wild) and his dog Buck. Allen joined us on the 23rd working all day.
If you want Mauri Wintturi's real opinion on the the stretch of Appalachian Trail from Maine Junction to the New Hampshire border, all you have to do is give him a beer. “It’s the Long Trail’s stepchild,” he would say. He wasn’t wrong. Considered a side trail, this stretch of the AT was originally blazed blue. It was dismissed as an uninteresting connection between between the Green and White Mountains. The real trail, the venerable Long Trail, had Section Clubs dedicated to maintaining each mile. The AT had Mauri Wintturi.
A log structure facing pond with bunks space for 6. It was built by the Worcester Section in 1953. It was in use from 1953 to 1961 when it was dismantled, and the upper part was used for the top of Bigelow Shelter. It replaced a similar structure which burned in 1952.
This log lean-to, completed by the Brattleboro Section in 1956, has bunks for 10. Drinking water is to be had at a spring 50 ft south via LT. [GB 20th Edition 1971] In late 1973 the Brattleboro Section voted to change the name of the Swezey Shelter to William B. Douglas Shelter to honor the man who had contributed much time and effort to its planning and construction.
Early in 1962 the Girl Scout Roundup Committee suggested to the Burlington Section that the Club build a Pioneer Cabin as an exhibit for the Button Bay Roundup. The Section decided to build a typical Long Trail Cabin. The cabin would be a 12′ x 14′ structure with double bunks in each rear caner which would sleep a total of 8 persons. Between the bunks is a table 2 1/2 feet wide with a seat on each side which is really an extension of the bottom bunks. The front of the camp was standing room with only a stove to get in the way. Window openings were on all sides with wooden shutters. The price of the logs was going to be $220 per thousand feet until the committee found a sawmill who would cut thick slabs which could be debarked by the ladies for only $75 per thousand feet. Now, as Camp Emeritus. is waiting patiently at Button Bay until its builders recover from their ski fever, when they will move it to some favorable location on the Long Trail where it can spend its declining years in peace if not in plenty. Thanks go out to the Burlington Section for their hard work of building a Long Trail Cabin right in the Village Green at Button Bay for the Girl Scout Roundup. [Roy Buchanan,
Situated on the shore of Cedar Meadow Pond in Leicester, Mass., the Worcester Section’s camp is open year-round to the public in daylight. Facilities include Whitman Lodge, a changing-room house, a picnic area, and a porta-potty. The lodge and bath house are open only during events sponsored by the Worcester Section
This shelter is a log lean-to with space for 5. It was built by the LT Patrol in 1958. There is a brook 150 ft east on the Whiteface Trail. It has been in use from 1958 to present. The Sterling Section cared for shelters in this area for many years. [GB 24th Edition 1996] This shelter was built at old location – Adirondack log construction. It sleeps 6 to 10 persons with no stove and cost $556.16