The Green Mountain Club is founder and maintainer of Vermont’s Long Trail, one of the first long-distance hiking trails in the country. The Burlington section was founded in 1910 as the Club’s first chapter and, today, is its largest. The Burlington Section is one of the Green Mountain Club’s thirteen local chapters which maintain and protect sections of the Long Trail. We maintain the Long Trail from Smuggler’s Notch to the Winooski River. Members use their skills to brush trails and clear blowdowns, repair bridges and signs, and build new shelters. We invite you to share our love of the outdoors, and our commitment to protecting The Long Trail, a wilderness footpath winding through the Green Mountains from Vermont’s southern border to Canada. Learn more about GMC membership.
Join us. We…
- Hike the Long Trail, paddle on Lake Champlain
- Photograph waterfalls, discover spring wildflowers, pick blueberries
- Explore winter’s beauty on snowshoes and cross-country skis
- Learn how to dress for winter, wax for cross-country skiing
- Share trip slides and potluck dinners
- Backpack, camp, bushwhack, in all seasons
The Tangible Rewards
- Quarterly schedule of Burlington Section outings.
- Ridge Lines, quarterly newsletter of the Burlington Section.
- The Long Trail News, quarterly newsletter of the Green Mountain Club.
- The opportunity to give to an worthwhile organization. The Burlington Section maintains the Long Trail from Smuggler’s Notch to the Winooski River. Members use their skills to brush trails and clear blowdowns, repair bridges and signs, build new shelters.
And the Intangible
- Friends who share your interests
- Experiences that build knowledge, skills, and leadership
- Support for an organization whose goals and ideals you share
- Challenge to grow as much as you want, to begin a life-long adventure
- Learn about GMC membership on the GMC website. Be sure to specify that you want to join the Burlington Section!
If you’d like to get involved, Let us know!
- President – Jonathan Breen
- Vice president – Nancy McClellan
- Secretary – Mary Keenan
- Treasurer – Kayla Weeks
- Membership – Dot Myer
- Ridgelines – Maeve Kim
- Shelters – vacant
- Annual meeting – Brian & Janette Williams
- Marketing & Communications – Annette Seidenglanz
- Education – Annette Seidenglanz
- Special Programs & Taylor Series – vacant
- Section Historian – Dot Myer
- Outings – David Hathaway
- Trails – John Sharp & Paul Beliveau
- Web site – David Hathaway
- Director – Michelle Connor (3 year term expires 2022)
- Immediate past president – Ted Albers