The trail through Smugglers’ Notch was the first Long Trail section to sport the now familiar white blaze. W. M. Barnes quickly capitalized on his lumber camp’s location near the trailhead by providing food and accommodations to hungry hikers. The first edition of the Long Trail Guide Book, published in 1917 listed Barnes Camp as a place to find “good accommodations, food, and lodging.”
Destroyed by fire in 1927, Barnes Camp was rebuilt as an Inn and renamed the Barnes Camp Inn. It served hikers during the summer months.
The inn changed ownership in 1930. Three years later, the new owner, Mrs. H. C. Taylor extended its season to accommodate skiers and snowshoers.
Barnes Camp would go on to become a gift shop and storage facility. In 2015, the structure underwent a restoration that preserved its live edge siding and large, fieldstone fireplace. This historic structure now serves as a visitors’ center and rental facility. It is staffed entirely by volunteers and is managed cooperatively by several organizations including the Green Mountain Club.
Long Trail Guide Book – 1st Edition, 1917
Long Trail News, Nov 1933