Mile 11.0 — Division 4 — Elev. 1470 ft.
The USFS, under the direction of Sidney B. Davis, has constructed this shelter at a site 600 feet downstream from the new suspension bridge. It is on the proposed trail relocation scheduled for completion in the spring of 1964. [LT News, Nov. 1963]
Continuing alongside Big Branch, the Trail follows an old road, passes the stone foundation of a mill, and reaches Big Branch Shelter. This frame lean-to, with floor space for was built by the USFS in 1963. Big Branch furnishes water. The outhouse is-up the hill behind the shelter. [GB 24th Edition 1996]
It has been in use from 1963 to present.