LT Mile 162.3 — Division D — Elev. 2020 ft.
In 1913, Miss Emily Proctor provided a fund through which three log lean-tos were erected. The shelter construction of the existing LT was started at this time.
The approach trail to Birch Glen begins at the farm buildings and crosses a pasture where the way is marked by cairns. Entering woods and passing through a fence the trail becomes a well-marked woodland path. At the end of a mile from the Beane Place it arrives at this lodge on the LT, one of the shelters maintained by the GMC. The lodge is in an open forest of beech and yellow birch with occasional towering spruces. To the right as you approach it, there is a brook which can be depended upon to furnish a supply of water, even in times of drought. The shelter has four double bunks and is provided with a small wood stove and a convenient table. The location is well described by the name given to the lodge, Birch Glen. [O’Kane 1926]
There is a birch lodge enclosed on three sides, facing northwest, which will sleep 5 or 6 people: no caretaker, fireplace a few feet in front: some simple cooking utensils on hanging shelf in lodge. Permanent stream, good water 50 ft. south of lodge; one place to dip water for oinking& cooking; place for bathing further downstream. [GB 1st Edition 1917] They were very concerned about water pollution in 1917 as everyone is today. Giardia lamblia probably was not in the dictionary at this time, however. By 1922 this lodge is an open camp with double-deck bunks for 12, good stove and simple cooking utensils. [GB 4th Edition 1922]