In 1922, Eward Bryant purchased 10,000 acres, of clearcut land from the American Brass Company. An ardent preservationist and enthusiastic pioneer skier, Bryant ceased all lumbering, and drew up plans for a series of three cabins along Nebraska Valley Road: lower, middle and upper, all leading up to a ski area on top of the Mountain. Built between 1928 and 1930, The. cabins proved a popular destination for Bryant’s friends and family, who would travel by carriage between them. [Lane]
Bryant allowed the Green Mountain Club to extend the Long Trail through his property and permitted us of the upper cabin which would eventually become known as “Bryant Cabin.” The cabin was not open to Long Trail Hikers, and could only be used through “special arrangments” with Mr. Bryant.
Before he died in 1945, Bryant attempted to donate his land to the town of Bolton, which refused the gift. The land was later sold to the Griffith Lumber Company which once again clearcut the land.
In 2013, the State of Vermont bought the area of the Bolton property, which included both Bryant Cabin and Bolton Lodge. In an effort to preserve the land and permit public use, the State turned over responsability for the restoration and management of both properties to the Green Mountain Club.
After a successful fundraising campaign to restore both Bryant Cabin and Bolton Lodge, the Green Mountain Club begain restoration in 2015.
The rededication ceromony took place in 2016. The cabin is still a popular destination for backcountry skiers and snowshoers and is available for rent through the Green Mountain Club website.