Mile 10.2 — Division 9 — Elev. 3800 ft.

This was the site, over a century ago, of a rustic frame hotel (summit house), built about 1860, which failed financially and finally burned down in 1875. In 1908 the Camel’s Hump Club was organized. The old path was opened and improved, tents for lodging were provided. The clearing was later adopted for three tin huts that provided shelter for hikers from 1912 until the early 1950’s. A caretaker was on duty and trampers were made welcome. There are three metal buildings, one to the left occupied by the caretaker, one straight ahead which serves as quarters for women trampers, and one to the right which contains the bunks for men. The records show that 700 persons climbed the Hump in 1910 and many of them stayed overnight. [O’Kane 1926]

3 Huts on Couching Lion (Camel's Hump), 1929
3 Huts on Couching Lion (Camel’s Hump), 1929

On June 20, 1908, a group of local businessmen came together to form the Camel’s Hump Club, with the purpose of developing Camel’s Hump as a mountain resort that would appeal to mountain walkers. C. C. Graves was elected President. The first, and possibly the only major accomplishment of the Camel’s Hump Club, was the provision of camping facilities just below the summit of the Hump. At first, four large tents were furnished at the clearing, three of them big enough for 12 people each and one monstrosity that slept 20. Each tent was equipped with stove, lantern, dishes and utensils, a supply of foodstuffs, “fragrant boughs for bedding,” and “clean, new blankets. In 1910 this tenting area attracted 700 visitors, the following year 1,100. In 1912 a 14′ by 20′ hut was erected at the site. It, in no sense, offers the ease and luxuries of the great houses of other mountain resorts, conceded the Camel’s Hump Club. [Forest & Crag by Laura & Guy Waterman, 1989]

John L. Sewall at Couching Lion (Camel's Hump) Cabin, 1921
John L. Sewall at Couching Lion (Camel’s Hump) Cabin, 1921

Lodging 60 cents per night which includes one blanket, extra ones 10 cents each. [GB 2nd Edition 1920]

Two metal huts are mentioned and no caretaker. [GB 14th Edition 1951]

Three huts remain. [GB 15th Edition 1956]