Mile 6.3 — Division 5 — Elev. 1350 ft.
This framed building with bunks for 12 was constructed in 1952 by the Killington Section. A brook 50 ft. east furnishes water. In use from 1952 to present. [GB 24th Edition 1996] The new closed shelter completed during this past summer has been formally rededicated as Clarendon Lodge. Come no more querulously seeking Clarendon Lean-to. Not only does it not now lean to leeward of every passing wind …it is solid, substantial, and winter-proof. It took 374 hours of labor. Hikers were using it prior to completion as were the cows. [LT News, Nov. 1952] Mr. Wiley donated $250 toward the rebuilding of this shelter. [LT News, Feb. 1953]
Due to misuse, this was converted to an open-faced shelter in 1971. On May 15, 1971, 40 people were present to do the carpentering. On the way out they hauled a full pick-up full of trash which had accumulated since last Sept. They had to clean up two 50-year-old pines that had been destroyed by misusers of the shelter. A new privy was built with recycled wood taken from the front of the lodge. The fence around the shelter is to keep out the cows in summer. [LT News, August 1971]