Mile 2.9 — Division 9 — Elev. 2520 ft.
This log lean-to has space for 8. It was named for Judge Clarence Cowles of Burlington, a charter member of the GMC. He helped build many trails especially in the Monroe Skyline Section. It was built in 1956 by the New York Section under the direction of Prof. Roy O. Buchanan. The brook 100 ft. south is a dependable water source. Nearby stands the remains of the old Cowles Cove Shelter. [GB 24th Edition 1996] Theodore H. Talbot, NY Section, announced that ground will be broken for a new open shelter at Cowles Cove in early June 1955. [LT News, May 1955] A new shelter has been completed. It is 3 sided built of peeled logs. It commands a fine view to the southeast of the Mad Dog Range and the White Mountains. It sleeps eight It was Roy Buchanan’s 26th Shelter. He was assisted by William Bartlett, Joseph Brumbly, Thomas Moore, Richard Ponsell, Theodore H. Talbot, Jr., David W. Webber, and James Zawicki. [LT News, August 1956]