Deers Leap Lodge

This new lodge was built in 1939 by the GMC as an annex to the Long Trail Lodge for winter use in connection with the excellent ski slopes and trail on Pico Peak. This attractive new building, nestled at the foot of towering Deer Leap, is a compact little inn and provides the appropriate atmosphere with its big open fireplace, log raftered ceilings, and native burled-birch paneling. Sheltered from the north by massive rock ledges and dense forest, with the large terrace in front open to the sun all day, this Lodge makes an ideal haven after the day’s skiing. It accommodates 40 persons comfortably and is open for both winter and summer use. [GB 12th Edition 1940]

Boyce, who is chairman of the Long Trail Lodge Committee, with L. G. Treadway, operator of the Treadway Hotels, and Grover C. Wright, Manager of the Lodge, presented plans for a new building to provide dormitory and recreational facilities. The plans for the proposed structure had been made by Guy Thayer of Rutland. The building, which is estimated to cost between 10 and 12 thousand dollars, will stand on the site of the old Deer’s Leap Lodge, which was recently replaced by the Fred Tucker Lodge, about a mile farther north on the Trail. It has been planned particularly to take care of the large number of skiers who each winter patronize the excellent Pico Ski Development a short distance down the Rutland road, as well as to provide more accommodations for summer guests. It will be a structure 30×64 feet. The large lounge and dining room on the ground floor will be served by an entrance on the south side from a 12 foot terrace, and is 51×30 feet in size, with a huge stone heatilator fireplace as the center of attraction at one end. The second floor is devoted entirely to guest rooms, nine in all. Eight of these have connecting baths. The third floor will have a large dormitory 64×12 feet and also five private rooms. It is expected to open Dec., 20th. [LT News, Oct., 1939] 

Anticipating one of the busiest winter seasons on record we felt that it was imperative that we increase the size of the kitchen. The plans were sketched out and the trustees OK’d the construction and left the financing to Mr. L. G. Treadway. He obligingly assumed the full financial responsibility. The roof was finished in the middle of the first heavy snowstorm of the winter and the interior was rushed along to a point where the rooms were usable. Although it is not an architectural masterpiece, it does improve the Chalet as a whole by breaking the barn-like outline of the main building. The winter activity started with a rush as anticipated, except for an extended January thaw, right through February. The prosperous season we had expected was almost assured when the big thaw struck the slopes on the first week in March. [LT News, May, 1946] 

Trustees Meeting, May 31 1947, voted to postpone, for further consideration, the request of Treadway interests for permission to apply for a Third Class Liquor License. [LT News, Aug. 1947]