LT Mile 16 — Division 1 — Elev. 1470 ft.
This stone structure, with bunks for 10, is provided with two inside fireplaces. Water is from the stream to the west. It was built by the Bennington Section in 1930 and is named after Fay Fuller, the first woman to climp Mount Ranier, and the wife of the donor, Fritz von Briesen.
It was in use from. 1930 to 1972 or as long as required for trail relocation and shelter construction. [GB 20th Edition 1971] The shelter was built by Paul W. Thayer of Wallingford, and its cost was about $850. Bunks will accommodate 16 persons. [LT News, Dec. 27, 1930]
Condition was bad for some time. Dr. Ross states that steps would be taken to protect it from damage hereafter, and to keep away depredators, with the aid of a man living nearby. [LT News, June 1939] The shelter has been put in condition. The front has been closed in and an entrance built at the rear. Other improvements include additional windows. bunks for ten, concrete floor, and a new stove. [LT News, August 1941]
In May the Selectmen of Woodford asked the Club to close Fay Fuller Camp, indicating that they would use their Board of Health powers to enforce this request. Accordingly, the camp was closed and demolished at the end of May. The gate is barred to prevent parking in the field. [LT News, Nov. 1972]