Just north of Black Branch Crossing is Kiln Camp. Bunks in an old charcoal kiln. [GB 5th Edition 1924] ‘
The present day LT goes through this area just north of USFS Road 10 East of Danby. This shelter is not mentioned in GB Edition 1930.
Kiln camp was a row of several abandoned charcoal kilns near Danby. Each kiln required 40 cords of wood to fill each kiln.” Bradley J. Bender writes on 2004-12-7: These four charcoal kilns were built by Silas L. Griffith in the 1800s and stood on the hill just east of the Rutland Railroad. Griffith had a private siding on the east side of the present tracks to service the kilns. Victor R. Rolando writes on 2005-12-16: These four charcoal kilns are technically in Mount Tabor, at Danby Station, which is on east side of Rt 7. They were demolished by the USFS in the 1940s because hikers were camping in them and they were then very unstable. Railroad siding to the kilns is still visible today (behind Crosby\’s Lumber & Hardware)