Green Mountain Club

Long Trail System 
Shelter History

Originally accumulated by Paul and Joanne Woodward in 1999
Updated by GMC Burlington Section

Introduction

This hodgepodge collection of inns, farms, abandoned buildings, hunting camps and private cabins proved adequate for early LT hikers, but as time passed, the trail lengthened, and the hikers increased, the problems became obvious. Private camps like Noyes Pond where often closed when occupied by the owners. Also, there was no formal system for maintaining these shelters. After Joseph Battell opened his lodge to hikers, it took only a few years before looters, vandals and excessive use reduced it to ruins. Finally, hiker friendly farms couldn’t be relied upon forever. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Beane opened a store in town and closed the Beane Farm to hikers. If the Long Trail were to have reliable shelters, there would have to be a formal system to build, manage, and maintain them.

The First Shelters

When James Taylor cut the first section of trail from the top of Mount Mansfield to Nebraska Notch, he started at the Mount Mansfield Summit Hotel. Meanwhile in southern Vermont, the US Forest Service laying the trail along old logging roads that passed by old lumber camps, private cabins, inns, and hiker-friendly farms. Pre-dating the trail itself, these well-known rest stops where marked in the first edition of the “Long Trail Guide Book”, published in 1917.

Hotels and farmers helped plug the gaps between camps. Some locals gained great reputations for their hospitality. Mrs. Frank Beane of Beane’s Farm was featured in the early guidebook as a good place to get a home-cooked meal, stock up on maple sugar, and rent a room for the night. The Brush Home in Bolton was also a hiker favorite. Not only did Mrs. Brush feed and house many a hungry hiker but ferried them across the Winooski River in her rowboat.

The conditions of these sites varied greatly. Hikers could find themselves seeking shelter in Patch Camp, an inhabitable hovel on the side of Whiteface Mountain one night, and then several days later, dinning in the Bread Loaf Inn, a fancy hotel owned by Joseph Battell, Vermont’s richest citizen.

The GMC set about repairing some the worst, replacing roofs, installing stoves, adding bunks, and supplying cooking utensils. Near Griffith, a former lumber camp, bunks were added to an old charcoal kiln and christened “Kiln Camp.”

Herbert Wheaton Congdon and men at the Battell Lodge, 1914
Herbert Wheaton Congdon and men at the Battell Lodge, 1914

This hodgepodge collection of inns, farms, abandoned buildings, hunting camps and private cabins proved adequate for early LT hikers, but as time passed, the trail lengthened, and the hikers increased, the problems became obvious. Private camps like Noyes Pond where often closed when occupied by the owners. Also, there was no formal system for maintaining these shelters. After Joseph Battell opened his lodge to hikers, it took only a few years before looters, vandals and excessive use reduced it to ruins. Finally, hiker friendly farms couldn’t be relied upon forever. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Beane opened a store in town and closed the Beane Farm to hikers. If the Long Trail were to have reliable shelters, there would have to be a formal system to build, manage, and maintain them.

The Start of Shelter System

The first official GMC shelters were a gift from Emily Proctor, the daughter of Redfield Proctor, Vermont’s 37 th Governor. A resident of Proctor Vermont, she worked at the family business, the Vermont Marble Company, but she was also a dedicated social reformer. She used her money and social status to promote women’s suffrage, public education, libraries, immigrants’ rights, and the creation of public spaces like the Long Trail.

In 1913, Emily donated the funds for three log lean-tos: Birch Glen Camp, Bread Loaf Glen, and a third south of Mount Horrid. This was the kickstart for a what would become a long tradition of shelter construction. Today, the Emily Proctor Shelter, and Emily Proctor Trail are named in her honor.

Birch Lodge from the trail to Beane's Farm, 1917
Birch Lodge from the trail to Beane’s Farm, 1917

Even before the Long Trail was completed in 1930, some GMC members turned their attention to shelter building.  As early as 1913, Fred Mould, who owned a granite business in Morrisville, began converting an old logging camp into one of the first GMC camps called Shattuck Lodge. Mould supported the GMC north of Mount Mansfield by blazing trails, building shelters, and funding the Long Trail Patrol. The shelters help build include Whiteface Shelter, Sterling Pond Lodge, Barrows Camp, and French Camp.

Quoted as saying ‘I hope to die on the Long Trail’, Fred Mould did just that, passing away at the age of 80, bearing a 40-pound pack, on a hike to Shattuck Lodge. Before he died, Mould would see the responsibility of the trail he built pass to the newly formed Sterling Section, with his son Henry as President.

Shelter, Camp, or Lodge?

In 1928, the GMC took inventory of its holdings and reported in The Long Trail News:

The Club is now maintaining about twenty-six camps. These, with eleven farmhouses and hotels at which meals and lodging may be obtained, provide comfortable accommodations at intervals of from three to seven miles, except in five instances where the distance between camps is about eleven miles. The camps are for the most part of the open front type, equipped with bough beds, stoves and cooking utensils, with accommodations for from four to sixteen hikers. Four of the camps are of a more permanent construction and are closed in. Caretakers are in charge of these. The Long Trail Lodge, located at Sherburne Pass near Rutland, is much the largest and most pretentious in design and equipment. This Lodge can comfortably accommodate about thirty people and is unique among the mountain homes of the mountaineering clubs of this country. Regular meals are served during four months of the summer, the bedrooms are very comfortable, and throughout the entire construction, a most pleasing attractive forest atmosphere has been preserved.

Enclosed, open-sided, square, round, built from logs, lumber, stones, and metal, these twenty-six sites lacked not just design standards, but naming conventions as well. The terms “camp”, “lodge”, and “shelter” were applied capriciously. A camp one year could be called a lodge the next. Confusion and consternation grew until 1934, when the Committee on Requirements for Long Trail Buildings issued its official decree:

A shelter is a rough, open face building of the Adirondack type, of dimensions as stated, to accommodate 6 people at most. It has no stove or other equipment but has an open

Fireplace in front for cooking and heat. The shelter is recommended for an overflow near much used camps and lodges also where the terrain is unusually rough and the distance between two of the present stations seems long, and to accommodate those who want to sleep in closer contact with the out-of-doors.

A camp is larger than a shelter and more pretentious. It is of the closed-open type with windows and has wooden shutters by adjusting which it can be used either closed or open. It should have a stove, table, benches, and a wooden floor.

Taft Lodge
Taft Lodge

 A lodge is a larger and more luxurious building. It is most useful in those parts of the Trail that are popular and easily accessible by motor. It should accommodate at least 16 persons and should be equipped with stove, table, benches, cooking utensils, dishes, etc., often with a fireplace, plenty of windows, and in some cases screened.

Tenting Areas are a fourth and less ambiguous site designation. Easy to build, easy to remove, they are just that: areas for tents. Tenting areas come and go as needed. Few last long enough to be counted in the canon of the Long Trail shelter system. The three permanent tenting areas directly on the Long Trail are Twin Brooks, Little Rock Pond, and Griffith Lake. They provide reliable water sources, privies, fire-rings and raised tent platforms to hikers.


The Adirondack Shelter

In 1937 Appalachian Trail Conference Chairman Myron Avery announced the completion of the Appalachian Trail from Mount Oglethorpe in Georgia to Mount Katahdin in Maine. This marks the point where the ATC turned its attention from trail blazing to trail maintenance and building the part of Benton MacKaye’s plan that envisioned a series of “Shelter Camps” along the trail.

These shelters were easily constructed, constructed from nearby stones, and peeled hardwood logs. The American Chestnut was the preferred tree due to its durability and abundance. That changed after the chestnut blight decimated the species. the Adirondack style is characterized by a long, steeply sloping roof. A fire-ring could be placed at the entrance to direct heat and light into the shelter.   An empty interior minimized maintenance, and the lack of privacy discouraged vandalism, squatting, and other bad behaviors.  Today, the best example of an Adirondack Shelter is the Emily Proctor Shelter near Bread Loaf Mountain.

v
Emily Proctor Shelter, 2021

The Common Wood Frame

Eventually the peeled logs of the Adirondack Shelters were replaced shelters with wooden frames.  They borrowed the simplicity of the Adirondack, but the use of commercially available lumber meant the pieces could be pre-cut and partially assembled before being ported to the site.  This early form of prefab construction helped control costs and sped up construction. These shelters didn’t require horses to haul logs to the construction site, they could be ported in on the backs of young volunteers.

Adopted by the US Forest Service, these cookie-cutter shelters quickly dominated the AT and the southern LT running through the Green Mountain National Forest.  

Inu at Cloudland Shelter, 2023
Inu at Cloudland Shelter, 2023

Buchanan Camps

When conservationist, author, and AT-hall-of-famer Ed Garvey passed through Vermont on his thru hike in the early 1970’s, he described the GMC as one of the ‘buildingest” organizations in the entire AT system. That well-deserved description is the result of efforts that started 40 years earlier when the Long Trail Patrol was formed.

In 1930, when Fred Mould was retiring from years of trail and shelter building, Roy Buchanan, his brother, and son Chet were scouting the last section of the Long Trail. From Jay Peak to the Quebec border, these ten missing miles irritated Buchanan, because as he put it, he was “tired of reading about a trail which went almost from Massachusetts to Canada”. 

Soon after completing the Long Trail, Buchanan founded the Long Trail Patrol, the first paid trail crew.  GMC President Mortimer R. Proctor donated a truck to help with patrol. It is adorned with painted arrows, labelled “Long Trail Patrol No. 1”, and was equipped with a mattress, so that it can be used as a bedroom at night.

A soft spoken UVM professor, Buchanan stood at 5’2”. His Louis Puffer described him as having his legs worn down from hiking. Not shy about enlisting his sons to help on work trips, he was known for carrying the 2-year-old son, Andy, in a basket strapped to his back. For thirty years, Roy Buchanan headed the Long Trail Patrol, tackling the biggest trail projects and constructing 37 trail shelters. 


Roy Buchanan in the 1st Long Trail Patrol Truck
Roy Buchanan in the 1st Long Trail Patrol Truck
Corridor monitor Ben Gabos at Parker Camp, a classic Buchanan Shelter
Corridor monitor Ben Gabos at Parker Camp, a classic Buchanan Shelter

Buchanan camps are distinct from other LT shelters.  All share a common DNA: easily constructed, small, four-sided shacks containing with two sets of bunks with a table between them. The lower bunks are extended and serve as benches for the table. The most distinctive feature is the wooden window shutter that can be lowered and locked to serve as a table on the outside. With a design borrowed from old lumber camps, these iconic constructions are the epitome of the “old Vermont camp”.  While most have disappeared, a few Buchanan Camps still exist. Hazen’s Notch, Tillotson, and Jay Camp are among the best examples and still sport the classic wooden window-table.

Post and Beam

Stratton Pond Shelter 1999
Stratton Pond Shelter 1999

Post and Beam is an old construction style typically associated with barns. This style gained popularity in Vermont in the 1990’s as a style of home construction. A typical Post and Beam consists of a timber frame joined by mortise and tenon joints, fastened by wooden pegs. The frame rests upon cement piers and wood planks are added to create walls and floors. The technique produces a rustic effect with open spaces that easily supports the porches and lofts.

Veteran shelter builders Laurel and Erik Tobiason were the first to build a true post and beam shelter in 1999 at Stratton Pond. The large porch, open interior and reverse loft proved an instant hit with both and through hikers. Buoyed by their success, the Tobiasons went on to build more post and beam shelters: Churchill Scott in 2002 and Bromley in 2003.


Two years after the completion of the shelter at Stratton Pond, farmer and thru-hiker, Tom Abbott walked into the GMC headquarters looking to donate a shelter he had built from white pines he had cut on his New Hampshire farm. A post and beam lean-to, that shelter would replace the old Laura Woodward Shelter. Abbott went on to build the Lost Pond shelter in 2002 and the Rolston’s Rest shelter in 2005. Abbott died on his farm, one week after the completion of Rolston’s Rest.

Of the 14 Long Trail shelters built since Stratton Pond, 11 have used post and beam construction. In 2023 three new shelters were built: Stratton View, Seth Warner, and Sunrise. All were post and beam.


Joint and Peg fastners at Stratton View Shelter
Joint and Peg fastners at Stratton View Shelter

Are They Worth The Effort?

Presently, the GMC officially maintains over 70 overnight sites. Unfortunately, high-altitude weather is rough on a backcountry shelter. The average shelter’s lifespan is 35 years. On average the GMC is forced to rebuilt, rehab or replace two shelters every summer. Of course, some years are busier than others. In 2006 the GMC rehabbed six shelters in a single summer.  

When Emily Proctor donated money to build three of the first official GMC shelters in 1913, the cost was $150 per shelter. By 2003, that cost was $15,000. After accounting for inflation, the price of a new shelter had more than tripled. Unfortunately shelters also require regular maintenance. As the number of Long Trail hikers increases each year, so does the cost of repairs. Section clubs do most of this work and increased usage means more demand for volunteers. In 1971, Dane Shortsleeve, then Chairman of the Trails and Shelters Committee, made this desperate plea to GMC members:

Before long, (by July 1st) the record snows will have left us and the 1971 hiking season will be underway. Each year we are experiencing more and more usage of the Trail and our shelters. The increased traffic will result in a heavier workload in maintenance. A survey conducted this winter of our shelters indicated the following:

  • 14 Shelters need major repairs. (All probably need minor repairs and upkeep)
  • 14 outhouses require work.
  • 10 new outhouses are needed.
  • 7 stoves need repair or replacing.
  • 40 dumps need carrying out.
  • 11 water supplies need improving or a better source.
Roy Buchanan and crew hauling logs to construct Shooting Star Shelter
Roy Buchanan and crew hauling logs for the construction of Shooting Star Shelter

In addition to the above, we have several major trail relocations plus the usual blowdowns and trail maintenance. Problem-Who is going to do this work? The Long Trail Patrol; The U.S. Forest Service; The State of Vermont Forests and Parks; The various sections of the Club; The Members-at-Large and other organizations and friends of the Club; including landowners. All of the aforementioned will assist in our mission. However, the key persons are the members of the Club and that narrows it down to YOU.

One could argue, if shelters are so much effort, why have shelters? That debate was had both in the GMC and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Paul Woodard, who along with his wife Joanne, compile the first comprehensive list of past and present shelters, made the argument to remove the shelters.

I would like to comment on the article by Keith Edson in the February 1982 Long Trail News concerning shelter vandalism. It is time to start redirecting the resources of the Green Mountain Club from shelter rebuilding and repair to trail maintenance, trail protection and “hiking public” education. The era of the shelter has passed. Shelter maintenance is an invitation for the ill-prepared person to go into the woods. Trail overuse is causing shelter abuse. With lightweight tents and small camp stoves there should be no need for cabins or stoves. If shelters are lost by fire, weather or whatever, my vote is for replacing them with tenting areas. The impact of a permanent structure is much greater than a tent site. moving a tent site is reasonably easy when environmental damage occurs. In view of the tight money situation, let’s give the policy of “no shelter rebuilding” a great deal of thought. Change is difficult but the time has come for the Green Mountain Club to change. Shelters are a thing of the past.

Members of the Appalachian Trail Conference experienced the same dilemma. The debate grew contentious enough that the ATC put the issue up for a vote in 1974.  The result was a strong vote to keep the current shelter system.

It’s hard to image the AT or the LT without their shelters. These two trails share more than just 105 miles. They share a unique shelter-centric culture. End-to-enders and through-hikers typically start their mornings by deciding which shelter they will end the day at. Every year, shelters are spot where long distance hikers form their temporary communities. As these groups move along the trail, they carry with them the hallmarks of trail culture. Tramilies, trail names, magic, and angels are all things that evolved on the AT and LT. Without its shelter system, the Long Trail would be a very different place.


Index of Camps, Lodges, Cabins, Shelters, Tenting Areas, Inns, Farms, and Other Accomodations that Have Served the Long and Appalachian Trails in Vermont

This shelter was built in 1922 on Bondville Road, present day route 30, near the intersection with route 11, east of Manchester. It was maintained by the Green Mountain Club and featured bunks for twenty to twenty-four persons. The most notable feature of this shelter was its commanding view of Mount Aeolus near Manchester.
A once thriving turn-of-the-century mill village in the town of Wallingford, this now abandoned ghost town lies near the present Long Trail crossing of Homer Stone Brook. Careful hikers might notice stone walls, and the odd brick. This site was the subject of archeological dig in 2007. Local businessman and logger Barney Aldrich established Aldrichville and operated it as a mill village in the late nineteenth century. For more than twenty years (roughly 1880s-1910s), the mill operated successfully, before being abandoned in favor of a new location in the valley, nearer town and railroad. At its peak, the village consisted of a steam-powered mill (switched over from water power, probably in the 1890s), a store, school, blacksmith shop, boarding house, and roughly a dozen households.
Located just north of the highway, this shelter. maintained by the GMC. is a small lean-to of plywood and plywood cores. It has been provided for the use of hikers by the Atlas Plywood Division over whose timberlands this portion of the trail passes. It was fabricated at the company’s Morrisville plant and assembled on the site by members of the GMC in 1967. Although not designed for overnight use. it can accommodate 3 or 4 hikers, if necessary. Water is located across the highway at a spring located on the LT. It has been in use from 1967 to present.
Up until the early 1930’s, south of Butternut Mountain, a five-minute side trail led to a small house and barn called the “Badger Lumber Camp.”
“Where are all the %$@#* hooks to hang the paint cans?” The voice came from a Montpelier Section volunteer trying to stain the newly constructed Bamforth Ridge Shelter and brought me back to reality. After months of planning, weeks of preparation, and countless volunteer hours, the shelter walls were up, we were nailing down the roof, and the structure was almost complete.
Originally built as a logging camp by W. M. Barnes, Barnes Camp’s location in Smuggler’s Notch made it a convient stop for Long Trail hikers crossing Mount Mansfield. The first edition of the Long Trail Guide Book, published in 1917 listed Barnes Camp as a place to find “good accommodations, food, and lodging.”
Located on Barrows farm, for which it was named, this frame building featured bunks for 12, a nearby spring and good views of the Sterling Range.
Built in 1899, this lodge was one of serveral built by Joseph Battell, a publisher and philanthopist from Middlebury Vermont, for the entertainment of his friends and family. At the time of his death in 1915, Battell was the State’s largest landowner with over 30,000 acres. He bequeathed his holdings to “the citizens of the State of Vermont and the visitors within her borders” to be preserved as “wild lands.” This included Camel’s Hump State Park, The Joseph Battell Wilderness, and the lands surrounding Middlebury College’s Breadloaf School of English.
This open-faced shelter was built in 1926 by the Forestry Department of Middlebury College along the old wagon road that went out to Lincoln Valley via farms of the Atkins Brothers. Constructed from peeled logs, the shelter featured a stove, cooking utensils and bunks for 10 or 12. There was a fireplace against a big rock in front.
This log structure was built in 1938 by the LT Patrol, for the New York Section, at the cost of $194. It provided bunk space for up to 8. This shelter was once in a dense stand of large trees, but these were mostly blown down by the hurricane of 1950. It was in use from 1938 to 1966.
In July 1967, work parties from the Tamarack Farm and Wilderness Camp in Plymouth Union Vermont began work building a new shelter, on the site of the previous Battell Shelter.  Part of a work service project in cooperation with the Green Mountain National Forest, supplies were airlifted in, where camp counselors supervised campers in the construction.
At Mile 3.9 Division 8 after passing Birch Glen Camp, the Beane Trail continues via an old logging road 0.9 mile to the farm. Mrs. Beane’s hospitality and the farm’s proximity to the LT made it a popular place to start and end hikes. In 1957, Raymond L. Goss recalled how, after a long hike with his sons, the Beane Farm‘s reputation made it easy to end the hike earl: “At Birch Glen Camp two of the boys went down to the Beane Farm for bread. We had a consultation at the Hedgehog Brook Trail and decided that ‘just about now we’ve had it’ boys tired, father exhausted, low on food.” GMC President, Ben Rolston eulogized her in 1967: The […]
Perched on a rocky knoll above the trail, this shelter was built by Bob Lindemann and the Sterling Section in 1991. The formal dedication occurred just after the first snowfall on Mansfield and Whiteface Mountains.
Described as a "roofless cabin" on Herber Congdon's original 1918 map, this cabin was located on the Long Trail between Molly Stark and Baby Stark Mountains, it's unclear if this cabin was ever used as shelter. It may have served as mere rest stop due to the nearby spring.
The Sterling Section built, in 1947, a fine log camp, called Beaver “Medder” Camp about 1 1/4 miles directly south, and 900 ft. in elevation below Whiteface Shelter. [GB 13th Edition 1947] A log cabin built by the Sterling Section was completed in 1947. It has space for 15. Water is found in several adjacent brooks. In use from 1947 to present.
The USFS, under the direction of Sidney B. Davis, has constructed this shelter at a site 600 feet downstream from the new suspension bridge. It is on the proposed trail relocation scheduled for completion in the spring of 1964. Continuing alongside Big Branch, the Trail follows an old road, passes the stone foundation of a mill, and reaches Big Branch Shelter. This frame lean-to, with floor space for was built by the USFS in 1963. Big Branch furnishes water. The outhouse is-up the hill behind the shelter. It has been in use from 1963 to present.
A log lean-to with floor space for 6. It was built by the Worcester Section and named in honor of Louis L Bigelow, for many years an active trail worker in the Worcester Section. Water is from Bigelow Spring, 150 ft. east of the shelter on the trail. He was instrumental in laying out and completing the trails over Glastenbm·y Mountain, and headed up the building of the camps and shelters in the Stratton region. Later, he helped the completion of the Long Trail system by the trail from Jay Peak to the Canadian border. This shelter is located on the Lye Brook Trail on the south shore of Stratton Pond just 0.1 mile west of the LT. This shelter is in one of the heaviest usage areas of the LT system and is managed by a caretaker located at the Willis Ross clearing. Used from 1961 to 1997. It was dismantled in 1997. It was built to replace the Willis Ross Annex which was flooded due to beaver activity at the outlet which raised the water level about 1 foot. It was started in August 1961, and finished the first part of October 1961. This shelter is located on the Lye Brook Trail on the south shore of Stratton Pond just 0.1 mile west of the LT. This shelter is in one of the heaviest usage areas of the LT system and is managed by a caretaker located at the Willis Ross clearing. Used from 1961 to 1997. It was dismantled in 1997. It was built to replace the Willis Ross Annex which was flooded due to beaver activity at the outlet which raised the water level about 1 foot. It was started in August 1961, and finished the first part of October 1961.
It is expected that the new cabin at Birch Glen will be ready about the Fourth of July. It will be a log structure of ample proportions. A slab lining will tend to make the cabin considerably warmer and more weatherproof than the average shelter. It will also embody several unique features that will provide more adequate ventilation and lighting of the bunks. The cabin, which will afford comfortable sleeping accommodations for from sixteen to twenty, will be equipped with stove and cooking utensils. It will be close to an adequate water supply and within easy walking distance of Hanksville, with its shopping and mail facilities. This log structure, built in 1930 by GMC volunteers, has an open front “living room” and semi-enclosed sleeping quarters with bunk space for 12. The water source is a brook 100 ft. south. The shelter is located only 100 ft. down the Beane Trail which leads 1.5 miles west to Carse Road. Used from 1930 to present.
In 1913, Miss Emily Proctor provided a fund through which three log lean-tos were erected. The shelter construction of the existing LT was started at this time. The approach trail to Birch Glen begins at the farm buildings and crosses a pasture where the way is marked by cairns. Entering woods and passing through a fence the trail becomes a well-marked woodland path. At the end of a mile from the Beane Place it arrives at this lodge on the LT, one of the shelters maintained by the GMC. The lodge is in an open forest of beech and yellow birch with occasional towering spruces.
A lumbering camp about 0.5 mile from Bread Loaf Inn in Middlebury Gap For several years we have hoped to have some lodges which the Bread Loaf School could consider its own, for its own use, rather than for the public. At length we have such a one, and it is ready for occupancy. It is Blowdown Camp, on the brook two miles northeast of the Inn. It is not a lodge of the Adirondack type, but is a chopper’s camp, generously turned over to the School for its use by Mr. Fritz, the College Forester. It has been cleaned out and renovated. The camp is reached by the Gilmore Trail, which is in excellent condition, and is clearly marked all the way with the blue blaze, which is the blaze of the Forestry Dept. and the Bread Loaf School. The camp[s] is available for picnic groups from the School, or small parties over-night. The bunks are ready with fresh balsam on them, so that no preparation in that line is needed, but over-night parties need to take their blankets. There are no cooking utensils except a good tea-kettle and a four-quart pail. The sleeping capacity will accommodate parties up to six. It is quite feasible to take both supper and breakfast there, or to set back to the Inn for breakfast. The windows have screens on, and those who use the cabin are asked to leave the window open as they are and to shut the door when they come away, so as to keep flies and mosquitos out. In order to avoid “stacking up,” Mrs. Harrin:ton has been asked to act as the one to whom word can be given. She will reserve the cabin for parties who plan to use it on a given date.
This cabin was recently erected. It is a closed frame construction suitable for 12 and is the gift of the Blue Triangle Club of the State YMCA. Located in the woods on the bank of the crook.
This lodge, situated in a clearing, provides a fine view of Camel’s Hump. This fine and comfortable cabin, built of stone and stucco to discourage porcupines, was erected in 1928 by the Burlington Section of the GMC. It has a good stove and bunks for 12 or more hikers. [G8 8th Edition 1930] It was abandoned after trail relocation because of Bolton Valley Ski Area.
North Bourn Pond Shelter was dismantled in 1983, and replaced with three primitive tenting areas along the banks of Bourn pond: North, South and West. The only amenties in the area are stone fire-rings and two moldering privies.
It was located probably less than 1/2 miles from the present shelter. Blowdown Camp is also mentioned in O’Kane which may be another name for Boyce Lodge. Erected in 1925–26, built of unpeeled logs, open front with bunks for 12 or 15 persons, stove and simple cooking utensils, good water.
This log structure was built in 1941 by the LT Patrol for the Lake Pleiad Section. It has bunk space for 6 to 8. Water the brook 75 ft. south on the LT.
This frame shelter, with space for 8, was built by the US Forest Service in 1963. Water, not always reliable, is from a small brook 200 ft. north via the LT. It has been used from 1963 to present.
Col. Battell established this Inn. It is used now as the Bread Loaf Campus of Middlebury College.
A log structure built by the Lake Pleiad Section in 1931 has bunks for about 10. Brook water adjacent. In use from 1931 to 1960 when the Emily Proctor Shelter was constructed. The 29-year-old shelter was taken. down.
This frame structure was built by the LT Patrol in 1955. There were bunks for 8. It was used from 1955 to 1984 when it was removed.
This lodge, built by the Manchester Section in 1933; very comfortable lodge on a small brook and with bunks for 12. The lodge has proved popular with trail travelers, one man liking it so well that he made it his summer home, acting as voluntary caretaker.
The Bromley Shelter project was first conceived in late 1999 as a replacement for the former Mad Tom Notch Shelter and as an alternative to the Bromley Tenting Area, which was too near the road and also directly on the banks of Bromley Brook. The last two years have been spent searching for a site, laying flag lines, and seeking approval from U.S. Forest Service planners and botanists. The design concept for the shelter itself was based on similar structures further south on the Appalachian Trail built and designed by the Nantahala Hiking Club. Marge Fish worked with Erik and Laurel Tobiason, veteran shelter builders, through the winter to draw plans for a post-and-beam shelter with a roof overhanging a cooking table and benches. Their design received final approval by the trail management committee in the spring of 2003. The shelter features a cooking and seating area protected from the elements, yet retains lean-to characteristics. In addition, the overnight site has three tent platforms and an accessible composting privy.
Two tent platforms are located here. A communal fireplace and outhouse are located here. It is the former site of Bromley Camp which was removed in 1984. In use from 1985 to present.
Located in Bolton Village it provided good room and board. Mrs. C. S. Brush provided ferry service for crossing the Winoosk River.
In 1922, Eward Bryant purchased 10,000 acres, of clearcut land from the American Brass Company. An ardent preservationist and enthusiastic pioneer skier, Bryant ceased all lumbering, and drew up plans for a series of three cabins along Nebraska Valley Road: lower, middle and upper, all leading up to a ski area on top of the Mountain. Built between 1928 and 1930, The. cabins proved a popular destination for Bryant's friends and family, who would travel by carriage between them. Bryant allowed the Green Mountain Club to extend the Long Trail through his property and permitted us of the upper cabin which would eventually become known as "Bryant Cabin." The cabin was not open to Long Trail Hikers, and could only be used through "special arrangments" with Mr. Bryant.
This frame cabin with bunks for about 12, was built by the LT Patrol in 1949. Adjacent Gleason Brook furnishes water. Formerly Wiley Lodge, the cabin was renamed Buchanan lodge in 1964 upon the completion of the new Wiley Lodge on the LT relocation between Gorham Lodge and Jonesville. Buchanan Lodge was so named in honor of Prof. Roy O. Buchanan, founder of the LT Patrol in 1931,and for 36 years its active leader. [GB 20th Edition 1971] It was in use from 1949 and not mentioned in the 22nd Edition of GB 1983.
This shelter was named for Prof. Roy O. Buchanan, founder of the Long Trail Patrol and for 36 years its leader. It was built in 1984 by the Burlington Section. It has an open front porch and enclosed bunk room with space for 16. Water is located 100 ft. to the north. It has been in use from 1984 to the present.
Crossing the highway (Rte. 140) the LT follows an old public road uphill for about 3/4 mile. Then proceeds a few minutes’ walk to this Club shelter with bunks for 20 to 24 persons. [O’Kane 1926] Built in 1922 having bunks for 12 and a stove. Brook water 30 ft. west. [GB 50th Anniversary Edition 1960 (16th)] Through the generosity of Mr. Merton C. Fisher of New Bedford. Mass., new roofing has been applied to this shelter. Early last summer Mr. Fisher visited the shelter and noticed that the paper roofing was badly torn. He wrote asking permission to have it fixed. Now Buffum shelter is in good condition again. We need more people like Mr. Fisher.
A frame cabin with bunks for 12 to 16 was built by the Killington Section in 1961. Brook water 30 ft. west. [GB 17th Edition 1963] This fine cabin was destroyed by fire in 1966. It was in use from 1961 to 1966.
Constructed by the the Burling family in the 1970’s, this shelter was intended be the first in a network connected by ski trails. The poperty was later aquired as an addition to the Mount Mansfield State Forest, Burling Camp is located within the Beaver Meadow basin on the Beaver Meadow Trail, close to the Beaver Meadow Lodge.Maintained by the Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation, the building is not an official GMC Shelter, but the GMC rehabilitated it. The building is open for hikers, skiers and snowshoers on a “first come, first served” basis and contains bunks, a wood stove and a sleeping loft. It’s most endearing quality is that it lies halfway along a two-tiered waterfall, with a simming […]
The lodge is of log construction. It was erected by the LT Patrol in 1933. It is named for Mabel Taylor Butler who was member of the Burlington Section and a lover of the Green Mountains. There are bunks and loft space for 14. Water is available at a small brook 75 ft. to the east and at times can be unreliable. During the hiking season a GMC caretaker is in residence to educate and assist hikers and maintain the site and nearby trails. A fee is charged for overnight use. Wood fires are prohibited. It has been in use from 1933 to present.
See Wiley Camp (2nd)
This was the site, over a century ago, of a rustic frame hotel (summit house), built about 1860, which failed financially and finally burned down in 1875. In 1908 the Camel’s Hump Club was organized. The old path was opened and improved, tents for lodging were provided. The clearing was later adopted for three tin huts that provided shelter for hikers from 1912 until the early 1950’s. A caretaker was on duty and trampers were made welcome. There are three metal buildings, one to the left occupied by the caretaker, one straight ahead which serves as quarters for women trampers, and one to the right which contains the bunks for men. The records show that 700 persons climbed the Hump in 1910 and many of them stayed overnight.
The first trip across Bolton Mountain to locate a trail was also made in October 1910 by Mr. Cowles and Mr. Burt. Starting from the Nebraska Notch road near the Trout Club, the route lies along an old logging rod nearly to the summit of Mt Admiral Clarke; one of the outlaying peaks of the mass of Bolton Mountain and arrives at the summit; 4 miles. Some judicious lumbering on the heavily wooded summit would improve the situation by opening up some fine views of Mt. Mansfield and Camel’s Hump. The trail continues south from the summit soon finding Bolton Brook which if follows to the Winooski River. Two miles down the trail an abandoned lumber camp known as Camp […]
The Worcester Section now has three camps, Willis Ross, Camp Cobb, and now this one. It is located in the rear of the home of Herbert M. Dockham, Holden, Mass. Dock has always wanted a back-yard camp, and now he has it. Nestled in the woodland beyond his garden he has built an open front shelter large enough for forty people to sit down to a meal at the portable tables. He has affixed a green pine-tree shaped sign with white letters which reads GMC Worcester Section Camp 3/D. Knowing how hard it is for a hungry person to wait his turn to grill a steak, Dock has built a fireplace about 12 feet long with three separate sections. so that a dozen people may cook at the same time. As he had just about given up his search for enough grates, a group of GMC’ers cropped in for a cook-out supper and brought along gates for two openings as a birthday gift. His special, joy is the “Deacon Seat” lined up on one side of the approach facing the fireplace. Unlike the LT shelters, Camp 3/D sports electric lights and has a large overhead light outside
For many years members of the Worcester Section have dreamed of having a camp of our own. Now, when “Where to go” has become a major problem for most outing clubs, Dr. Gardner N. Cobb, a charter member of this section, has given our club five years free use of a building on his large estate. Camp Cobb, as it is now called, was originally built as a hunting hut for a group of businessmen. Long since neglected, it was full of cobwebs, dust, squirrel nests, and old furniture. The floor, walls, and roof were in good condition, and after a couple of work parties the camp had a new paper lining, some shiny white doors, clean window, and kitchen range – the gift of a father of two members, both of whom are now in the service.
Southeast of Glastenbury Mt summit en route to Somerset Reservoir. Small cabin has bunks for 3 or 4 person, stove and few cooking utensils. Camp not locked. [
See Wiley Lodge (2nd)
Two miles from the Buck Job there is a side trail leading downhill to the east about 1/4 mile to a ruined lumber camp, one cabin of which is in excellent repair and open; at the confluence of two amber-colored streams of fine drinking water, it is marked Camp Lizzie and is the headquarters of gatherers of medicinal herbs, roots, and barks. Has beds and bedding, stove and utensils but is not a GMC camp.
Mile 3.0 — Stratton Mt Tr. — Division 3 In 1922, a few members of the Bennington Section leased and furnished an old camp along the Long Trail, just north of the old Grout Job Lumber Camp. GMC members could use the camp if they picked up the key in Bennington. It was dubbed Camp Webster due its proximity to the Daniel Webster Monument, erected by the Stratton Mountain Club in 1915, on the Arlington Wardsboro Road. The monument marks the location where the famed orator, Daniel Webster, addressed a crowd of 15,000 at a Whig Convention in 1840.
Sometimes known as Allen Camp
This is an oblong, closed building, with walls and roof of metal. Across the front is a piazza. Within there are bunks to sleep 6 people, and other furnishings, including a good stove, table, bench, and some utensils. There are no blankets. The camp stands in a gassy opening partly gown up to raspberry bushes. A branch path to the left as you enter the opening leads to a good spring. The distance from New Boston to the camp is about a mile and a half and the rise in altitude is about 650 feet.
This camp was built in 1949. It was a small steel building with bunks for a maximum of 4. It is owned and maintained by residents of Proctor. Hiker usage is permitted except during the deer hunting season when it is reserved for its owners’ use and may be locked. It was torn down in 1976 and replaced by the David Logan Shelter. It was in use from 1949 to 1976. [GB 23rd Edition 1985] It was enlarged in 1964with bunks for 7. [
See Duck Brook Shelter
A small log shelter built by the boys of Camp Najerog in 1931. It has bunks for 5 and there is a reliable brook 30 ft. in front of the shelter. In use from 1931 to present. [GB 24th Edition 1996] Major repairs were made to the Shelter, logs in rear replaced, roof nailed, and all nail holes tarred. It should again be serviceable for several more years.
The story began with a need for overnight lodging along a six-mile relocation of the Long/ Appalachian Tuail on the west side of Pico Peak. The trail was relocated in 1999 to avoid ski area development pressures. During the planning process for the new shelter, initial criteria specified locating a site away from backcountry ski routes and close to the trail. Then the city of Rutland and the National Park Service requested other criteria that changed the nature of the entire project.
This camp is situated in a hillside pasture near a brook with accommodations for 20 persons. [O’Kane 1926] This camp has a stove and bunks for twenty people. This is on a brook and in a pasture; keep porch gate closed on account of cattle. [GB 7th Edition 1928] This shelter is an old favorite of many in the Killington Section. It was built in 1921 and has weathered many a storm. Now it is old and leaky, but still a welcome sight to many who hike over the LT. It is situated in a beautiful pine grove, close to an ever-flowing brook. It needs a new roof. A benefit card party is planned to raise money for major repairs at the home of Vera Perkins in Rutland.
This framed building with bunks for 12 was constructed in 1952 by the Killington Section. A brook 50 ft. east furnishes water. In use from 1952 to present. [GB 24th Edition 1996] The new closed shelter completed during this past summer has been formally rededicated as Clarendon Lodge. Come no more querulously seeking Clarendon Lean-to. Not only does it not now lean to leeward of every passing wind …it is solid, substantial, and winter-proof. It took 374 hours of labor. Hikers were using it prior to completion as were the cows.
In recent years the maintenance of Clarendon Lodge has become increasingly difficult due primarily to misuse. After much deliberation the Killington Section decided to re- model from the closed lodge to an open shelter. On May 15 some 40 people were present to do the carpentering, pick up an entire pick-up load of trash (all accumulated since last September, clear up the remains of one of the twin pines right in front of the shelter which some “kids” had cut down with a hand-axe (it was about 50 years old), fell the other twin since “kids” had started hacking into it in such a way that it would fall directly ON the shelter, and build a new privy using lumber taken from the front of the lodge. The fence around the shelter is to keep out the cows in summer; there will be a gate at the opening.
It has space for 8 and was built by the Dartmouth College Outing Club in 1995. Ample water is available in a nearby stream. It has been in use from 1995 to present.
This open-front frame cabin, with bunks for 8, was built by the LT Patrol in 1967. It was named for Herbert Wheaton Congdon, a Long Trail pioneer, trail builder and mapmaker, and was the gift of the Congdon family. A small brook east of the shelter furnishes water, and overflow campsites are located on the ridge west of the LT above the outhouse. It was originally built as a cabin and converted to an open shelter after 1985. In 1985 there was a Primitive Camping Area 0.8 mile north of the shelter which had been abandoned by 1996.
Professor Monroe and a group of workers built a shelter at Cooley Glen in 1918. [Forest & Crag by Laura & Guy Waterman. 1989] Open shelter of peeled logs, pole bunks. simple utensils, outdoor fireplace, splendid water 150 yds. westerly. [GB 2nd Edition 1920] The old shelter is now ruined and provides very little protection. A new shelter will be built on or near this location as soon as labor and materials can be obtained.
Built in 1949, this shelter is an open front, built of peeled logs, with bunks for 6 or 8. Water 150 yards to the west. Look out for porcupines. No, they can’t throw their quills.
A framed lean-to with room for 8, the shelter was built by the USFS in 1965. A spring is located 600 ft. west on the Cooley Glen Trail. It has been in use from 1965 to present.
This lodge is located 100 ft. downhill on the LT from the Killington spur junction near sites of the old hotel and the round tin shelter. To the west of the lodge is the Bucklin Trail. It is a stone and wood construction with bunks for 12. It is located on land given to the state by Mortimer R. Proctor, former president of the GMC and later governor of Vermont and named in honor of Charles P. Cooper, president of the Club when a considerable portion of the LT was complete. It is the highest shelter on the LT. There are springs 100 ft. west on the Bucklin Trail and 325 ft. north on the LT. A GMC roving caretaker may be present to help hikers protect the high-elevation ecosystem around Killington Peak as well as manage other overnight sites in the Coolidge Range. An over-night fee may be charged. It has been in use from 1939 to present.
This framed cabin was built in 1989 by the Laraway Section and named for Robert Corliss of St. Albans. It has sleeping space for 14. Water is found at a small brook about 350 ft. from the camp at the end of a spur trail to the left off the Davis Neighborhood trail. It has been in use from 1989 to present. [GB 24th Edition 1996] On December 30, 1989, a cold clear morning, approximately 20 gathered to hike to their newly constructed camp for the dedication ceremony. This Camp has replaced Parker Camp. Don Hill and Peter Hayden presented Bob Corliss with the new camp sign for whom the camp was named. Bob proudly hung the sign over the door. This shelter was made possible by the contributions and volunteer labor of many people. Thanks go to Woodbury’s, Rice Lumber Co., Flanders Building Supply, Peter Salinger. and students from the Lamoille Vocational School; and Arjay West and Scout Troop 94 for their efforts.
ear the present shelter are the remains of the old Shelter built in 1920, with bunks for 4, by Professor Monroe. Called Cowles’ Cove Lodge in the 5th Edition of GB. On the farther bank is Cowles Cove Lodge, a shelter of Swiss type with a lower bunk that is capable of sleeping three or possibly four, and an upper bunk large enough for two. It has a good stove and a few utensils. In front of it is a small porch.
This log lean-to has space for 8. It was named for Judge Clarence Cowles of Burlington, a charter member of the GMC. He helped build many trails especially in the Monroe Skyline Section. It was built in 1956 by the New York Section under the direction of Prof. Roy O. Buchanan. The brook 100 ft. south is a dependable water source. Nearby stands the remains of the old Cowles
This shelter is 0.2 mi. down the New Boston Trail. It is a framed lean-to with bunks for 8 and was built with the help of 60 campers from the Vermont Camping Association under the direction of GMC’s George Pearlstein. It was named in memory of David Logan, an active club member whose family and friends provided funds and assistance. A reliable source of water is located 200 ft. north of the shelter. The Carmel Camp previously occupied this location. It has been in use from about 1976 to present.
This camp located near Harmon Hill in the Bennington section and it takes the place of the old Deerview Cabin which died of old age.
This was built to replace Thendara. Young Ted and I cleaned up the site (Vermont’s Thendara) a few days before the annual meeting in May, 1958 and salvaged what we could, which wasn’t much. In June the lumber was bought and we started rebuilding. The lumber was delivered to the site so the back-breaking work of carrying materials was eliminated. 5 1/2 days of labor later we had a new camp ready to use. It is a 12 x 8 foot lean-to heavily made which sleeps eight without crowding. It was renamed so as not to be confused with the New York Section Thendara.
A shelter has been started at Sherburne Pass and will be completed in the spring. [The Green Mountain News, Dec. 1922] It was decided to name the structure the Green Mountain Clubhouse. The open shelter across the road, called Pico Lodge, will be furnished with blankets, cooking utensils and fuel, and will accommodate up to 24. [The Green Mountain News, Dec. 1923] On the north side of the road at Sherburne Pass is Deer’s Leap Camp, an open-front lodge with stove, simple cooking utensils, and bunks for 20 persons. A charge of 25 cents per person per day is made to cover cost of fuel and care of camp. Blankets may be rented from the manager of the LT Lodge […]
This new lodge was built in 1939 by the GMC as an annex to the Long Trail Lodge for winter use in connection with the excellent ski slopes and trail on Pico Peak. This attractive new building, nestled at the foot of towering Deer Leap, is a compact little inn and provides the appropriate atmosphere with its big open fireplace, log raftered ceilings, and native burled-birch paneling. Sheltered from the north by massive rock ledges and dense forest, with the large terrace in front open to the sun all day, this Lodge makes an ideal haven after the day’s skiing. It accommodates 40 persons comfortably and is open for both winter and summer use. [
The outstanding event on our fall calendar was of course the dedication of the new Cascade Shelter at Duck Brook built last summer by the LT Patrol, including three generation of Buchanans. 86 people and several dogs turned out for the big day, including a photographer from the Burlington Free Press, resulting in a large feature with many many pictures the next week. Out of town members included past presidents of the main club, John Vondell and Ben Rolston, and at least four sections other than Burlington were represented. Gerry Grow had made a beautiful sign for the shelter; Don Havens, in charge of the event, served cider and doughnuts to all after Roy had christened the shelter with some strong Essex Junction water and his usual unforgettable comments.
Surely one of the buildings in this abandoned lumber camp was used by LT hikers although not specifically noted in O’Kane’s LT Guide, 1926. An abandoned lumber camp with some shelter in old buildings.
Duncan Camp is only referred to once in the April, 1925 edition of the Green Mountain News (“Long Trail News”) “The Duncan Camp of Boy Building has a camp in Peru, not far from the LT, and extends a cordial invitation to hikers over the trail to visit the camp and enjoy its hospitality. ” This refers to the “Duncan Grant Camp” or “Duncan Camp for Boy Building”, a model airplane summer camp for boys. The camp was founded by Charles Hampson Grant, who named it after his younger brother Duncan, after he died flying a Sopwith Camel in World War I.
This lodge was built in 1918 (?) by the newly organized Lake Pleiad Section. This lodge provided bunks and a stove. Below the Lodge the path follows an old logging road down the valley of Joiner Brook. It is located, with a beautiful view to the south toward Camel’s Hump, a few minutes beyond the site of a former lumber camp. This is a club shelter with bunks for 12 persons.
See Lula Tye Shelter
This ruined cabin below the summit of Ellen was built in 1903.
The path then zigzags down steeply, makes a long circuit to the north and then to the southeast into the valley of the New Haven River, where it reaches Emily Proctor Lodge, a Club shelter beautifully situated in a deep glen near the foot of a rocky cascade.
It is particularly to be regretted that the lovely Breadloaf Glen where the new Emily Proctor Lodge was built in the spring of 1938 was in the direct path of the big storm. The road to South Lincoln was obliterated all the way into the camp. Across from the site of the camp the torrential rains started a mud slide which took not only the trees and other growth, but even the soil, so that what used to be a beautiful mossy green diff is now an ugly, raw, rocky ledge. This mass of earth and trees dammed the brook, and the pent-up waters lifted the camp from its foundation and twisted it into a new location. Fortunately, the building itself was little damaged. It has been repaired and the foundation replaced so that it can be used until some more definite plan can be made after the road is rebuilt
The old Breadloaf Shelter was torn down and an Adirondack type open shelter was built on the same spot It was built of logs cut in the neighborhood under a permit from the USFS. It sleeps 6 to 8 persons. It is now called the Emily Proctor Shelter in honor of Miss Emily Proctor for whom a shelter had been named very early in GMC history. The early shelter was located about 3/4 mile below the Breadloaf Shelter. The crew leader for the construction was Harris Abbott.
This stone structure, with bunks for 10, is provided with two inside fireplaces. Water is from the stream to the west. It was built by the Bennington Section in 1930 and is named after Fay Fuller, the first woman to climp Mount Ranier, and the wife of the donor, Fritz von Briesen
This camp is located 1/2 mile south of the highway. It is a closed camp with stove, water, and bunks to accommodate 8 to 10 people. It was built in 1928.
This frame camp was built in 1931. It was the first camp built by the LT Patrol and was named after the owner of the land. It had bunks for 12 to 14. Water was at the spring 100 ft. east of camp. It was in use from 1931 to 1992 at which time it was destroyed.
Located near the ruined Patch Camp, about 5.1 miles south of Lamoille River bridge on the Johnson-Whiteface trail. One of these camps was abandoned in 1931 according to GB 9th Edition 1932. Two miles from the summit are the ruins of Gates Camp. [GB 10th Edition 1935] Being abandoned
ere are open shelters. tent sites and picnic tables. Reservation must be made to use these overnight facilities through the park office. Killington, VT, 05751; Tel 802-775-5354: Gifford Woods itself is located elsewhere within the park. It is one of the few remaining stands of virgin hardwood forest in Vermon
It is 13 feet square, made entirely of copper alloy steel. Inside are four bunks, with room for 6 others, a stove, table, and cooking utensils. Within 100 yards is a spring. From one side is a fine view of Searsburg and also the bodies of water at Whitingham and Somerset dams. From the other side the cabin are overlooks of Pownal and Greylock Mountain to the South.
Located near tower on the summit. A well-marked trail of seven and one-half miles leads up an easy grade to the top, where there are a tower and a forester’s cabin. The cabin is locked and can be used only by special permission from the State Forestry Department.
This log lean-to, with bunks for 6, was built by the LT Patrol for the Bennington Section in 1965. A spring is 40 ft. to the east on the LT. It was in use from 1965 to about 1985 when Goddard Shelter was constructed.
This shelter is 0.3 mile down the Barton Trail. It was built in 1933 by the LT Patrol and is of log construction with bunks for 8. The water source for the lodge is an unreliable spring located to the west of the LT near the junction before descending the Barton Trail. A second intermittent water source is a brook that may be found by following the contour beyond the outhouse. Wood fires are prohibited at the lodge. There are excellent views to the east. It has been in use from 1933 to present: [GB 24th Edition 1996] Rotten logs were replaced, and a new floor was put in. Lumber was backpacked via the Barton Trail as the lift wasn’t running. The camp is in good condition, and it should be good for another 32 years.
Professor Monroe and a group of workers built a shelter at Glen Ellen in 1918. Built in 1919, though officially abandoned and not maintained, it has stood up very well and still offers some shelter. It was located 0.2 mile up the Barton Trail from the present-day lodge. [17th Edition GB 1963] This shelter was built in 1919 and is provided with comfortable bunks, a stove, and a table. Back of it, a path leads in a few yards to a spring which is reliable except in extreme drought. In front of the shelter is a little rock walled garden of native plants.
This log lean-to with space for 12, was completed by the Bennington Section and the U.S. Forest Service in May 1985. … Some of the materials were airlifted to the site by the Air National Guard. It is named in honor of Ted Goddard, former president and treasurer of the GMC, and past president of the Bennington Section. A spring 150 ft. southbound on the LT provides water. In use 1985 to present. Funds for the construction were given by Ted Goddard, Jr. in memory of his father. The structure was of log construction 20′ x 16′ with-an open front. Boy Scout Troop 353 of Bennington peeled the logs. Rock footings were built by BSA Troop 355 of Bennington.
This shelter replaced Goddard Shelter (1st) Goddard Shelter Replaced and Glastenbury Fire Tower Repaired By Kate Fish Ghost stories pervade Glastenbury Mountain. This enchanged summit with its historic firetower is the center of the Glastenbury ‘Itiangle, a place where many weird, tragic and purportedly supernatural events have occurred over the centuries. Glastenbury has been a favorite overnight site on the Long ‘Itail since hikers took refuge in its first shelter in 1929. The most recent shelter was built in 1985 and named in honor of Ted Goddard, a former GMC president. In 2003, the club began planning to replace the shelter’s roof and sleeping deck in tandem with reconstruction work on the fire tower. The Glastenbury fire tower, built in […]
Gore Mountain Summit Cabin
In honor of H. W. Gorham, a member of the New York Section from 1923 until his death in August 1949, his friends are making contributions toward a new cabin or shelter on Camel’s Hump (or, if you prefer, Couching Lion) for which Prof. Buchanan has selected a new location. farther down the north slope than the present dilapidated shelters. Bill grew up in the St. Johnsbury region and was particularly fond of this mountain. Such a memorial seems particularly fitting for one whose love for man and earth. and whose appreciation of the comfort and gladness that association with forest and mountain can bring were so great. Contribution for this shelter may be sent to the treasurer of the New York Section: Ronald Busse, Pearl River, New York, made out to the H. W: Gorham Memorial Shelter Fund.
The Lodge is about 112 mile north from the old “Tin Huts; one of which was dismantled to provide roofing material and stands on the edge of a quick drop off, with a magnificent view to the north over the Winooski Valley. Bolton Falls and the main road near it are clearly visible, as is Little River Reservoir. The lodge is only 500 feet west of the old LT and close to excellent water. The structure is built of logs, probably the largest ones that have been used in any camp to date, laid horizontally up to the bottoms of the windows and vertically above which results in more efficient use of timber and saves time. The lodge is about 15 by 20 ft. in size and has a stove brought down from one of the old huts. It is located wonderfully but is the most inaccessible camp for the Patrol to work on. All materials that could not be cut at the site or dragged down from the Huts had to be packed in 2 1/2 mile from Couching Lion Farm. This took time sweat and muscle.
This shelter is located in an overgrown field near a dirt road. This stone structure was built in 1929 by the family of William H. Field of Mendon and named for Percival W. Clement, governor of Vermont, 1919 – 1921. There is bunk space for 10 and abundant water is available at the brook 200 ft. to the east. Unfortunately, this shelter is subject to unexpected nocturnal visits by uninvited carousers. The GMC discourages the use of this shelter. In use from 1929 to present
This log structure, built in 1937, has bunks for 6 to 8 persons. Spring water intermittent 600 ft. to southwest.
This shelter is located just north of White Rocks National Recreation Area boundary. It is a framed lean-to with floor space for 8 and was built by the USFS in 1962. A spur trail leads 600 ft. behind the shelter to a spring which may fail in very dry season. It has been in use from 1962 to present.
On November 16, 1959, with 72 Section members present, this new shelter, which fills an important gap in the AT shelter system, was dedicated in memory of the Section’s late president, Gren Anderson. The shelter stands in Stokes State Forest near Culvers Lake. A plaque at the location was unveiled by Mrs. Anderson. It was built with funds raised by the New York Section. Club members did the building, led by designer Sam Wilkinson, a trustee, and Harry Smith with the assistance of many members and took the entire summer to complete. The shelter is a deluxe affair with a plank floor, a built-in table as well as a park-style movable table, rustic rain gutters for the front eaves and a stone fireplace. The one-holer features a red signal that can be operated only from the inside, an invention of Harry’s. A reliable spring is about fifty yards away. An actual test on the night before the dedication showed the sleeping capacity to be nine. The shelter was formally turned over to representatives of the Stokes State Forest who will be responsible for its future maintenance.
Silas Lapham Griffith started the Green Mountain Lumber Company in 1888. He owned about 1500 acres of forest in Peru, Vermont along Black Branch, where he built a steam sawmill and several charcoal kilns, which employed about 300 people. By 1912, the lumber and charcoal industries had exhausted the surrounding woodlands, and the town of Griffith was abandoned. The Long Trail went through the old town, where the old buildings and kilns served as shelter for weary to hikers. There area became knows as as “Griffith Camp” or “Kiln Camp”
The Killington section has built an open camp in Mt Tabor with a rustic fireplace in front, at what is called the “old job”, where the village of Griffith once stood. [GM News, Dec. 1924] This camp was located near the present day USFS Road 10 a bit east of the present-day LT crossing. It was near the deserted village of Griffith where many buildings occupied a large clearing. The Club shelter was where the lumber road crossed Roaring Branch. [O’Kane. 1926] The new camp is located in the deserted town of Griffith. It is an open camp with stove, fireplace, and bunks to accommodate 24 persons.