Mile 21.1 — Division 3 — Elev. 2900 ft

On a spur trail 0.1 mile west. It is a frame lean-to with space for 8. Built by the U.S. Forest Service in 1962, it was moved to its present location in 1980. [GB 17th Edition 1963]

Mad Tom, late 1930's
Mad Tom, late 1930’s

Doors were installed in 1988 to protect hikers from prevailing westerly winds. From the shelter, there is a fine view of Dorset Peale across the valley. A small spring, which usually fails in dry seasons, is located 200 ft north. Used from 1980 to 1997 at this location. This shelter has fallen off its moorings and the USFS has closed it. The GMC is investigating a new site. [LTN Fall 1997]

Mike Russom in front of Mad Tom Shelter with new storm doors installed, 1989
Mike Russom in front of Mad Tom Shelter with new storm doors installed, 1989

This shelter was removed in 1997. [LTN Fall 1998]