Montclair Glen Lodge, 1922
Montclair Glen Lodge, 1922

The first lodge at Montclair Glen was built in 1918 by Professor Monroe with his group of workers. Two other lodges were built in the glen. The first was located 200 ft from the present-day lodge where the Forest City Trail descends. [GB 23rd Edition 1985]

This is an open board shelter maintained by the GMC. It is provided with four bunks, each of which is large enough for three people. Other furnishings include a good stove, a table with benches, shelving, cupboards, and out in front, a seat. Roundabout is an open grove of small birches with several platforms for tents. Close to the Lodge is a tiny flower garden. [O’Kane. 1926]

In the August 1928 issue of the LT News, reference was made to the experiment that was being conducted at Montclair Glen Lodge with a view to determining whether chicken wire strung across the front of the shelter would prove an effective barrier to porcupines. The experiment proved successful, and it is now planned to protect other shelters on the Monroe Skyline Trail in a similar manner during the coming season. [LT News, Apr. 1929]