Shattuck Lodge, 1932
Shattuck Lodge, 1932

This shelter, also known as Mould’s Shelter, was located 1.5 miles east of the main LT on a loop trail 1hat descends into a valley known as Chilcoot Pass. [O’Kane, 1926] This lodge was in use from 1913 to 1946.

In 1913 a one-man Sterling Section was operating. His name was Fred W. Mould, a lifetime GMC member who operated a granite business in Morrisville for many years until retiring in 1930. He played a key role in establishing one of the earliest shelters on the LT. This Lodge was located about 200 yards east of the present-day Beaver Meadow Lodge. A gassy, cleared area in the trees still marks the site. In 1913 Mould and others converted what had been an old logging camp used by a man named Shattuck. Mould himself is said to have carried in a stove to heat the structure.

About 1922, Mould, members of his family, and others doubled the size of the camp. Somewhere along the way, the place, not surprisingly, became known as Mould’s Lodge which appears on the 1953 USGS topographic map of the Hyde Park Quad. By early 1950 Mould was 81 years old, but he was still an active hiker and woodsman. His love of outdoor activity was reflected in his oft-repeated words to friends that “I hope to die on the LT.” And just that happened. On June 9, 1950, Mould and another GMC stalwart, Eugene L Bamforth, were hiking to Beaver Meadow Lodge and apparently planned to continue to the top of Sterling Mountain. Carrying a 40lb pack, the diminutive octogenarian (he was five feet 2 inches tall and weighed only 135lbs) and his companion set out on what was a scorching hot day. Just short of the lodge Mould sat down to rest. Moments later he toppled over and was gone. [“History of Sterling Section” by Robert Hagerman]

Camp unlocked, well roofed, accommodates 10 people in emergency: five single bunks, five more can sleep on floor (no blankets), stove. Mountain brook beside camp. [GB 1st Edition 1917]

Mould’s Camp no longer exists. [GB 13th Edition 1947]