Sterling Pond Lodge, circa 1970
Sterling Pond Lodge, circa 1970

This log structure is in a very scenic location on the top of a low cliff with Sterling Pond below and Mt. Mansfield visible above it. The Lodge, which replaces one burned in 1950, was built the same year by the LT Patrol for the Sterling Section. There are bunks for about 8. Drinking water is available at springs 300 ft east via the LT and Elephant’s Head Trail. [GB 19th Edition 1968]

Montpelier Section news — The major accomplishment was the rebuilding of this Lodge which burned down last spring. It was started during the lntersectional and took three weekends and many hours to complete the new lean-to. A cookout for twenty people was held to celebrate the replacement.

In August, the boys went into Sterling Pond Lodge where lumber and supplies were floated across the Pond practically to the door of the Lodge. The roof and bunks were repaired, some vertical logs were replaced in front and shutters were made for the front windows instead of glass. These are made so they swing in and are mounted vertically, each window having two, one on each side to eliminate the heaviness of one big shutter. The dump was moved, and the cabin creosoted inside and out, so we will see how the Lodge will survive another season. [Jack Harrington. LT News, August 1950]