Mile 8.5 — Division AT1 — Elev. 1360 ft

This shelter is a log lean-to with space for 6. It was constructed by the Norwich University Outing Club in 1958. It is maintained by the Ottauquechee Section of the GMC. Water is provided by Mink Brook in front of the shelter. [GB 24th Edition 1996]

This shelter was removed in 1998 due to its proximity to a road passable by cars and a new shelter will be built by Erik and Laurel Tobiason .8 of a mile south on the Appalachian Trail. [LTN Winter 1997]

Burning the old Stony Brook Shelter
Burning the old Stony Brook Shelter