Mile 17.4 — Division AT1 — Elev. 1900 ft
Being in poor condition, the first Wintturi Shelter was removed and reconstructed by Appalachian Trail thru-hikers, Erik and Laurel Tobiason, during the summer of 1994, this shelter rests on the same location on the Appalachian Trail as the first but repositioned to reduce wind and maximize sun exposure. They nicknamed it “The Red Roof Inn,” due to its distinctive red roof.
Erik and Laurel recalled how the first hiker to stay at the new shelter, spent the next day helping built it: “Late in the afternoon we had the framing completed and part of the roof on. That night it was occupied by AT thru-hiker Allan ‘Call of the Wild’ Garvin and his dog Buck. Allen joined us on the 23rd working all day.” Amont the other volunteers were Kitt Kelly, Ian Cummings, Gary Harshbarger, Phil Maynes, Tom Platner, Mary Sawyer, and Harry Temple.
“Volunteer Adopters Rebuild Wintturi Shelter.” Long Trail News, Spring (1995)